Sunday, July 17, 2011

Burwash Landing, Yukon Territory to Tok, Alaska

Early in the day we crossed the border again into the Alaska! In spite of the look of terror on his face, Tony was really happy to be back in Alaska!!!


We stopped at the Tetlin National Wildlife Refuge to enjoy the amazing view and have lunch in the parking area. Inside there were exhibits of the local wildlife and a First Nation Lady doing beautiful beadwork. I took an interest and she gave me a pamphlet with instructions. I want to give it a try when I get home...in my spare time.










A scene on the road to Tok
The Sourdough Campground in Tok, Alaska, has to be the most fun campground so far!! In the evening they have a sourdough pancake toss and if you toss the pancake into a bucket, you'll get a free breakfast!! We had to go try. Sad to say, none of us won the toss but....they also had Dannylee Whittle to perform for us!! He does Johnny Cash and Willy Nelson songs, among others and has a wonderful voice!


I volunteered with a couple of others in the audience to sing back up for Dannylee. We had a great time!!

In exchange for an extra try at the pancake toss, Tony agreed to do a Karaoke
song. He did his famous rendition of "My Way" originally sung by Frank Sinatra.
Dannylee even joined in with some harmony!

The next morning before we left, we had to try the Sourdough Pancake breakfast which included Sourdough Pancakes, reindeer sausage (or regular pork sausage), biscuits & gravy, fruit, juice and coffee. It was really good.

Another side note: In the laundry room, I met Sharon Nault, who is a field editor for The Milepost. You can see a picture of the most recent copy of The Milepost with Izzie in a previous post! Sharon has worked for The Milepost since the mid 1970's. Since we've been enjoying the book throughout this trip, I felt like I was meeting celebrity!

1 comment:

jerryeisen said...

Ha. Dannylee reminds me of your dad or brother Tom, Terry. maybe...
No, prolly not. So, you going to be seeing Tom? i haven't seen your latest blogs yet, working my way up. Thanks for sharing...
Love
jer